Quilt ADD in therapy

My photo
Colorado, United States
Other than my family, the passion of my life is quilting. An eclectic, I love a wide variety of styles and techniques encompassing both machine and hand work. I am a longarm quilter who can work for you. I enjoy any style, from pantographs to all-over to full custom, ranging from traditional to modern. I love bringing vintage tops to life and am willing to work with a challenging quilt top. Instagram: lyncc_quilts

Sunday, July 1, 2012

BOMs Away Monday - July 1, 2012 - Moved to Colorado



https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEib6FEw-InTZOIaLrsh7raXFspj2e1T12kCO8l-1fE90gdy6n4l1MW2uvunLaRnasRzTevZmJGQUxFSneppP1tAy6D3038PFUnZoe3kZkA6pv4O9beBUFKk-l_8VIx2zK7QOjm3Pv7Ki7I/s1600/BOM+Button.jpg

Welcome to my Link-Up for BOMs Away Mondays!

(We'd love to see the BOM you're working on lately.)

Well, I am now a Colorado Girl!  [Weekly Link-up is at the bottom of this journal entry]


Concert Grand gets loaded truck-to-truck using their lift
A family of 5 creative people in a house for 15 years accumulates a LOT of stuff!  We packed every bit of non-sitting space in all of the vehicles, crammed that UHaul 26-footer for all its worth, and still had to add the largest UHaul trailer to get it all together. 




As we were pulling out, our youngest said "We're a train, Mom!" It made me think of our ancestors crossing westward in wagon trains, and our convoy fit the analogy quite well, I thought:


Marissa and I had the Hand Cart in the lead - along with all 4 cats! (yes, *that* was interesting)




Devon had the little Pack Mule






Heather and Grandpa had the big Pack Mule (THANK YOU, THANK YOU DAD FOR FLYING OUT AND HELPING US!!!)






And Scott drew up the rear with the Covered Wagon (better known as "The Squid"), pulling the final mule.






Convoy driving across the country can be quite demanding! The second night, our 18yo said, "Mom, I had a Wooten Moment! I always wondered what the heck was wrong with you guys, how could you be so tired when all you did was sit and drive all day. Well - - I Get It Now!"  hehe


That Squid was funny, but it sure was AGGRAVATING, too. The darn thing got a blow-out THREE times during the trip - always the same tire. I was expecting something, as the tires were almost completely bald (shame on U-Haul!), and Grandpa said the subsequent blow-outs were undoubtedly because they simply put a new tire on the one that had blown, with a full inch more of tread than the other 3 tires on that axle, so that the new tire had to carry far more than its fair share of the load. It was truly maddening. But it did provide some awesome photo ops:


Giant Squid Attacks Mechanic


The first time we had a great place to wait during the 2-something hours it took to get the roadside service: in the Sunday-empty parking lot of the Arkansas State Highway Patrol headquarters.  LOL






The second time was on a busy stretch of Interstate with no good waiting areas, so Scott sent us on ahead to the next hotel. He caught up with us at 1 am.  :(  He did get some entertainment, though, watching the 2-car speed trap that the Oklahoma highway patrol set up near him.


The third time was in the BOONIES of the northeast corner of New Mexico. We watched a train go by. 






. . . and Scott sent the rest of us 45 minutes ahead to pass some time at Capulin National Volcano.


Capulin National Volcano
Grandpa and Heather


We pulled into Colorado Springs at midnight just as the fire was approaching its apex. This is what the mountains looked like the next day across the city. And each afternoon for three days, the wind blew that cloud of smoke all the way across the city to encase us all.


Smoke covering the mountains from the out-of-control Waldo Canyon Fire


Fortunately, our apartment was on the opposite side of the city from the mountains, and our storage unit was across the Interstate from the threat zone. Others were not so fortunate at all. The whole time we were unloading at the storage facility, other families were arriving and unloading everything they had been able to save when they had to evacuate their homes. Over 30,000 people were displaced by this fire!!  If we had been able to use the base temporary facility (cats kept us out of it), we would have had to evacuate 12 hours after arriving. Almost 350 homes were burned this week. It is heart-wrenching to see in my new home-town.


Our second night here - Fire was visible on the city side of the mountains.


A scenic pull-out on I-25 just north of the city was a favorite place for people to watch horror-stricken as the helicopters did everything they could to save the homes.




But the neighborhood we'd wanted to buy into is mostly gone:




When Scott had to report for duty Friday after the Air Force Academy opened back up, his sponsor still didn't know if his home had been burned down. I don't know if base-housing had opened back up yet. 


Fire behind the Academy chapel

I'm so glad we had brought an earlier trailer load out here in May and got to see our new home as it should be before this fire destroyed the mountains. We'll still enjoy it, though, and the mountains will recover slowly. I hope the families who lost their homes get all the help they need to recover. In fact, I think one of my blog-communicators lived right in the canyon where this fire started, and i sure hope she's OK. 

Speaking of fellow quilters, tomorrow I'll be quilt-shop hopping, and the next week I'll start visiting local guilds to find where I can fit in and to hopefully meet some new friends.  :)  Quilters are awesome.


And now on to BOMs AWAY business:

I did get two Baby Janes finished since my last in-person posting:



E-7

RS-2


Have you made progress on any of your BOMs or interval projects? Link up here to show it off! :D   

16 comments:

  1. Wow - what an adventure packed story! How heart wrenching for the fires to be so close to your new home... but lucky that you were not personally involved. Good luck on the shop and guild hopping - I'm sure you'll find somewhere extra special (because that's what quilters are!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think ou could possibly forget this trip! I hope things settle in Co and you all settle in a home!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This will definitely be a trip always remembered.
    My family live in the Blue Mountains Australia and we have been watching the fire unfolding on the news. Even by our standards here (one of the most volatile locations for bush fires in the world) these Colorado fires appear devastating. I could not comprehend the enormity of the destruction and the size of the area affected. Keep safe.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You've been on my mind several times this week, knowing you were arriving to the Springs while all this was going on. I've lived in CO since 1974 and my mom is a native; I've never seen a fire season like this and I've never seen heat like this. Trust that it will get better and CO will be as wonderful as you've imagined. Welcome!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow...good to catch up with you and glad you're safely in CO now. I've been away from this stuff for awhile myself and read with great interest your post. I hope I can get back into the swing of things and make some personal progress on quilting items, but for the most part I'm having to try and focus on customer related work --or at least need to ;-) HA! Good luck with all the new meet and greets that you'll be doing. There are lots of quilters in that area, right? Isn't McCalls based nearby?

    ReplyDelete
  6. p.s. glad you only had 3 blowouts...we did a trip as a family in the Philippines and had 6 flats on one vehicle and 1 flat on a 2nd vehicle that was sitting in the driveway when we arrived back at my aunt & uncle's home.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My pioneer ancestors crossed the mountains into Ohio in an ox-pulled wagon bringing the first piano into the "Western Region". I crossed from Ohio toCalifornia by car and took a ship to Yokohama through a typhoon, but your adventure tops them all. I hope the adjustment goes well.
    My son works for the BLM, and in summer that means fighting fires like these. I wish I could send you some rain. keep safe!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, the squid made me laugh (because it wasn't me dealing with the blowouts!) but Co. Springs makes me sad. We have several friends stationed there - no quilters - and their evacuation tales are sad. I hope the area is able to recover, and I hope you have a wonderful time there!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow!I am amazed by the photo of the entire neighborhood that is now gone...that really makes it sink in. My best friend's son is a senior at the Academy this year...his sponsor family lost their home. So devastating. Good luck to you in your new home.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What an amazing trip you have had, glad to hear that your new home is not affected by the fires. That was some welcome to your new area!

    Enjoy getting to know your way around. Hope the weather improves too for everyone.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Crazy adventure! Hope all is well with settling in!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, sounds like a heck of a time. I am sad about what is happening there. Be safe.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow! You and your family have had quite an a summer adventure. Love the Giant Squid attacks mechanic! -lol-
    Best of luck in your new home town. Thoughts and prayers ascend for all the folks who have lost their homes to the fires.
    Always, Queenie

    ReplyDelete
  14. i think your ancestors would have appreciated "Roadside Assistance" when wagon or hand cart wheels broke--or going into labor to have a baby!

    Sure glad your trek ended on a positive note and that forces conspired to protect you from the fires!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sorry I'm late posting. Unbelievable fire pictures. Stay safe.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Lynette,
    Since when does the Air Force not move you?? I grew up w/ the Navy and they always did it. Quite an adventure.
    Margaret

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by! I answer each comment via email. Sometimes, though, the system fails to notify me that a comment has been left, and if you are a "No-Reply" commentor, I cannot respond. Also, I apologize for having to block anonymous users - too much uncivil spam was coming through to leave the comments completely open.