Quilt ADD in therapy

My photo
Colorado, United States
Other than my family, the passion of my life is quilting. An eclectic, I love a wide variety of styles and techniques encompassing both machine and hand work. I am a longarm quilter who can work for you. I enjoy any style, from pantographs to all-over to full custom, ranging from traditional to modern. I love bringing vintage tops to life and am willing to work with a challenging quilt top. Instagram: lyncc_quilts

Tuesday, July 31, 2012

WIP & NewFO - It's a Hawaiian Dragonfly Party!

Besides my ever-present Baby Janes, I have two WIPs this week.



The main WIP right now is Dragonfly Party #1. This is a very special project because a beloved cousin and I were quilty best-buds, working on our own version of BOMs for each other, when she died. It was devastating, and I couldn't bear working on the project for quite a while. I finished all the feature blocks for both twins maybe 5 months ago and had to put it away to focus my attention on preparing our house for the market. Now this project is finally up on center stage!  At least the first of the twins is.  ;D  


Just about finished assembling the center. I don't know what malicious muse made me think I wanted 1/4" sashing, but there it is. Such a pain! 

Slow work gets good results, though. They're matching up nicely and staying even. I'll soon be on to the border work.  :D 



NewFO2012
After months of abstinence due to house-readying and moving across the country, I finally get to participate in Barbara's NewFO fun for July - just squeezing in a new project today!

I've been wanting to try making a Hawaiian quilt for some time now, especially since a high school classmate thought of my love of history and quilting while her family was in Hawaii last year and she couldn't resist ordering a book for me that she saw. I think that deserves a wall-hanging of her own in the style, don't you?


So this morning I printed a freebie pattern from online, except that it won't fit on normal paper. 

Problem-solving: tape several sheets together, draw the square as big as I want it, fold it in eighths in the traditional designing process, and trace the design. My light box came in real handy for that part. 
My box isn't big enough to hold the entire 18" square, so when I wanted to trace the design onto the back of my fabric, I used the good ol' fashioned method of taping everything up on my window. I'm sure the folks in our apartment complex were wondering what the heck I was up to! (and how did I forget to get a snapshot of that stage?)


Once I had the design on the back of my background fabric (I'm a back-basting needle-turner fan, for sure!!), I layered the fabrics face down and pinned like crazy. I've never back-basted anything so large, and wanted to be able to handle it with confidence that nothing would slip. 

So far I've basted the outer frame line. 



This one will be fun and cheery to work on. It'll move pretty slowly for a couple more weeks as I catch up the backlog of my Baby Janes, but ought to pick up after that. 


When I'm finished, it'll look like a simplified version of this:


Only, in this batik:   












In addition to being my first Hawaiian quilt, this will be my first hand-quilting when I get to that stage, so I'm looking forward to the work on this small quilt!


Now head on over to Lee's and take in all the eye candy of what lots of folks are working on.
WIP Wednesday at Freshly Pieced

18 comments:

  1. 1/4" sashing! wow! it does look great. Have fun with the Hawaiian applique. I want to do that one day too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 1/4" sashing? Yep, you've lost your mind! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad you're able to bring it back out and work on it again. It deserves to be finished particularly since it's linked to someone who was very special to you. And ps- I think 1/4 sashing is absolutely crazy, but I have to say that it does look cool.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your Dragonfly PArty quilt is looking amazing! Great project you've chosen for your Hawaiin Applique' quilt! Wishing you an enjoyable applique' journey.

    ReplyDelete
  5. your sampler with the teeny sashing is beautiful! it's fun to do something challenging and have it turn out really great. You are brave to take on the hawaiian block. are you hand appliqueing?

    ReplyDelete
  6. wow, these projects all look gorgeous! i can't wait to see how the hand quilting turns out.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yowzer at that sashing. I tip my hat to you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your twin looks lovely. The 1/4" sashing may be a pain, but it is definitely a pop and just perfect! Can't wait to see how your Hawaiian quilt moves along. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. The 1/4 inch Sashing is awesome! This quilt is a lovely tribute to your cousin. Thanks for linking up to WIP Wednesday!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a pretty quilt...so sorry about your cousin. You're going to just love it when you finish :o) I admire you for tackling a Hawaiian quilt. They are gorgeous and i can't wait to see it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh what a pretty quilt! I love the colors you've used. I've done that before with pattern pieces, taping them together, it works pretty well. I haven't tried needle turn appliqué before but I would like to learn. Thanks for linking up.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great Dragon fly project, so sorry to hear about you cousin. Must be tough to work on the quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  15. The quarter inch sashing is the perfect accent. The quilt is going to be amazing. I started an Hawaiian quilt once - I think I started with one that was too big and got discouraged. I look forward to watching your progress.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm so sorry for you to have sad memories associated with your twin Dragonfly Party quilts. My sympathies. The quilts are pretty. Good for you to be tackling a Hawaiian quilt. I tried making a pillow-sized one myself - once - and never finished it. Though, I agree that this sort of handwork can be relaxing. Hey, I'm a back-bast appliquer too! Ahh... that's on the off-off chance I'm doing ANY hand applique. I hope you enjoy yours. Aloha!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Glad you are back!! So sorry about your cousin/quilt partner. Your quilt is beautiful colours.

    Thanks for stopping by my blog...This embroidered quilt isn't mine; I'm quilting it. She has an embroidery machine which I would love to have!!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. So sorry about your cousin. That's awful.
    ....
    looking forward to the Hawaiian quilt.
    Carol

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by! I answer each comment via email. Sometimes, though, the system fails to notify me that a comment has been left, and if you are a "No-Reply" commentor, I cannot respond. Also, I apologize for having to block anonymous users - too much uncivil spam was coming through to leave the comments completely open.