Quilt ADD in therapy

My photo
Colorado, United States
Other than my family, the passion of my life is quilting. An eclectic, I love a wide variety of styles and techniques encompassing both machine and hand work. I am a longarm quilter who can work for you. I enjoy any style, from pantographs to all-over to full custom, ranging from traditional to modern. I love bringing vintage tops to life and am willing to work with a challenging quilt top. Instagram: lyncc_quilts

Monday, July 15, 2013

BOMs Away - Ruffled Roses Applique Work

https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEib6FEw-InTZOIaLrsh7raXFspj2e1T12kCO8l-1fE90gdy6n4l1MW2uvunLaRnasRzTevZmJGQUxFSneppP1tAy6D3038PFUnZoe3kZkA6pv4O9beBUFKk-l_8VIx2zK7QOjm3Pv7Ki7I/s1600/BOM+Button.jpg

Welcome to the Link-Up for BOMs Away Mondays!

We'd love to see the BOM you're working on lately.
This week's link-up is at the bottom of this post.


This was Ruffled Roses week.  My personal favorite of the current BOMs rotation.  :)   This "month's" work is the 4 applique swag borders with heart-based floral cornerstones. These will each be about 36" long when squared up.





The excess green to be cut away from those cornerstone stems doesn't phase me at all, as I'll be able to use most of the cut-off pieces for leaves.

As I wanted this quilt's applique to be hand done, it's more than a month's work for me. It sits at my sofa-side table and gets work just about each evening as I watch a show with my hubby. Binding and label work bumps it every time, though, so last night was the first time working on it in a week or so. 



I'm a back-baster. You can see the various stages each side is at. I prioritize the top one, but if I finish the amount of prepped work on it, I prep the next stage for it and then move on to the next one. I always let basted pieces marinate at least overnight before doing the needle-turn. It makes the fabric just slip right under along the perforations without any trouble at all. 



I do trim the back away as I work to take away the bulk and improve the drape. Makes a big difference.



This one only needs the other half of the lavender bulbs and then a yellow "berry" in each cup formed. Then I can attach it to the center.  :D



~*~*~*~*~ 

 So - Have you worked on BOMs or interval projects lately? Weeklies are welcome along with regular projects that you’ve broken into monthly units, and –of course- true BOMs.   Share your eye candy and show off your progress since the last time you linked up! There are some wonderful monthly and weekly projects going on out there.

4 comments:

  1. Looking at your lovely back-basted hand appliqué almost makes me want to pick up a project like it! I love that appliqué method, though I've never seen it where the backing is trimmed away too. Gosh, that makes so much sense! It never occurred to me to remove it! Your swag colors are really pretty.

    I hope you're feeling back to your old self again. It sure looks like you're full of motivation on your projects!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those swags are lookin pretty. I have not done very much applique and found your post interesting - maybe I will give it a try!

    ReplyDelete
  3. should that be Strips Away monday?!! Looking good Lynne!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by! I answer each comment via email. Sometimes, though, the system fails to notify me that a comment has been left, and if you are a "No-Reply" commentor, I cannot respond. Also, I apologize for having to block anonymous users - too much uncivil spam was coming through to leave the comments completely open.