Something Old/Something New -
This category of my goals took a big hit this month. I did not learn how to beautifully repair the tiny nip I made in my double wedding ring quilt, so I didn't gain any new skills. I'll need to do that this month!
My something old - quilting still more rings in that quilt - went well for the first week or so of the month until my quilting foot broke. Still haven't been able to get to the store down in the city for a new one, so that's on a standstill at the moment.
My April something old will be getting the quilting going again on this quilt, and making labels for both of my Dragonfly Party quilts before they need to go off for the various shows that they'll be in this year! My something new - - - learning how to repair that snip in a gorgeous way. . .
Thanks to Lynne for coordinating this link-up!
NewFO Report for March
[here is the link to this party]
[here is the link to this party]
Whoa!! My normal piecing machine is still broken and waiting to be taken to the shop, so the first half of the month I spent any non-DWR time washing/pressing stuff and cutting out the pieces from long-untouched kits in my storage. I got three of them processed!!
We have "Simply Fun," a batik set that's going to be a pretty queen size quilt one day, that I bought back in 2008:
I always - ALWAYS - have at least one young feline visitor when working at this table. Also, these are all kits from storage that get initial processing, then they are carefully boxed up with the pattern and notes to be re-stored for future sewing attention.
"Sunshine" was also cut out- another bed-sized quilt. I loved working with the spring-like colors, and it came in a super cool fabric tote bag that makes for great continued storage:
"Anna's Mountains" will be a nice throw quilt some time - I do love toile prints:
And!!! Something brand new - a couple of months ago I won Emily's "Boomerang" pattern from her blog giveaway away at Crazy Old Ladies Quilt, and I've been really wanting to work it up. I didn't have any fabric on hand for the background, so I had to get that, and bought several fat quarters to use with it. I filled out the requirements from my stash and got everything cut out despite all the "help" from the kittens.
Such sweeties "helping" with the cutting out of the background fabric. They made sure nothing blew away on me. ;D
And then I found out my cousin's daughter is pregnant with a boy. I really wanted to make her a quilt, so I shopped my stash again to make another quilt from the same Boomerang pattern. I loved the idea of using some of my hot-air balloon fabric for the backing, and found a great blue for background fabric, then pulled several quarters and scraps that coordinated with the colors of the backing. I had broken down my quilting machine to piece one of my BOMs together, so I went ahead and pieced the Boomerang baby quilt.
It made such a nice cheery quilt top, and I love the pattern in this dark background as well as the white that captured my fancy in the first place. I got the top sandwiched, so this is ready to go as soon as I can quilt again.
Lots of NewFOs added to the list between the stale kits and the new pattern!! Thank you to Barbara for hosting this fun link-up every month. I love it.
Still deep in thesis work - two or three weeks left of intense archive digging - so my book attention remains limited to my Affairs of the Heart work. But I do love this project despite the trickiness sometimes of looking at fine hand-applique detail on the black background. I made some decent progress on block 6. I have these 3 out of the 28 tricky little pieces left to stitch, then I can do the accent embroidery:
Thanks to Sharon for coordinating this link up! It keeps me forging ahead on this long term project that would otherwise be easily set aside indefinitely!