Quilt ADD in therapy

My photo
Colorado, United States
Other than my family, the passion of my life is quilting. An eclectic, I love a wide variety of styles and techniques encompassing both machine and hand work. I am a longarm quilter who can work for you. I enjoy any style, from pantographs to all-over to full custom, ranging from traditional to modern. I love bringing vintage tops to life and am willing to work with a challenging quilt top. Instagram: lyncc_quilts

Wednesday, December 13, 2017

WIP'n along and Whoop'n it up

Woohoo!!!   This is #16 on my 17 in 2017 list, so I know now that I can check them all off by year's end.



Devon's quilt has quite a bit of quilting that was done on the domestic. There is a lot left, though, and much had to be done to prep it for the longarm. 



Something like 250 pins have been taken out of the blue area, all the hundreds of tails are tied and tucked, backing is squared, and spacers are sewn onto the three narrow sides (I anticipate wanting to turn this quilt for easier border work.) This is a large queen quilt.



I did all the marking yesterday on the Sapphire Stars Mystery quilt that I'm finishing as a special QOV for my father-in-law. I made the USAF stencil the old-school way by printing the right size onto cardstock and wielding an X-acto knife. Also cut the border elements out of a cereal box (some day I'll have star rulers for longarms, but for now it's old-school).  I got about 1/2 of the stabilizing done on the longarm before night's call. Hopefully this afternoon I can finish that up and start on some of the fun work.





And my early-morning attention is currently on puffins and penguins - they're maybe halfway finished getting their trapunto work.  :)   This FMQ work still happens at my domestic machine for two reasons: 1) I don't have nearly enough fine control yet with my longarm to do close-edge applique quilting with so many tiny details; 2) Quilting through multiple layers of fusible can be really tricky even without fine-control issues. I'll be waiting until I have a lot more experience with my longarm and its reaction to various threads, fabrics, and pop-up issues before putting any fusibles on it.





~*~*~
Linking to:

Lorna's Let's Bee Social
Sarah's Whoop, Whoop!
Meridithe's 17 in 2017

6 comments:

  1. Such great quilting. Love the puffins and the penguins!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, I am very impressed by your handy work. such great projects. the baby penguin in front of the presents is killing me! - too cute (!) And that amazing blue, white and yellow quilt is gobsmackingly beautiful. Such ornate quilting. I am glad, I came by. =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well done on getting through your UFO goals for the year. The penguins and puffins are fabulous. I look forward to seeing the finished quilt in 2018!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great post! I love the quilting on Devin's quilt. It is spectacular! I was happy to read that your penguin quilt is getting some trapunto. I just love trapunto but have only done it a couple of times.

    I am so happy that you have a long arm now. I will still be basting my quilts for my sit down long arm, but I love it. It really doesn't take that long and I can go anywhere I want in the quilt.

    Your Sapphire Stars Mystery is GORGEOUS! The colors and fabrics are perfect. Good luck getting it one soon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is stunning quilting on Devon's Quilt! You've made fabulous progress on your 17. Sure you will do the same on the 18 for 2018. Happy New Year. Many blessings for you and your family in the coming new year.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by! I answer each comment via email. Sometimes, though, the system fails to notify me that a comment has been left, and if you are a "No-Reply" commentor, I cannot respond. Also, I apologize for having to block anonymous users - too much uncivil spam was coming through to leave the comments completely open.